The MSDM generator of inelastic nuclear interactions (Multi Stage Dynamical Model)
The SHIELD transport code includes the MSDM generator  of inelastic nuclear interactions. The MSDM generator describes all stages of the nuclear reaction in the exclusive approach. Current versions of known Russian nuclear models are interfaced in the MSDM generator:
Fast, cascade stage of the nuclear reaction
- The model of intranuclear cascades DCM (Dubna Cascade Model ) 
- The model of independent quark-gluon strings (QGSM) [3,4]
- The coalescence model 
Precompound emission of nucleons and lightest nuclei .
Equilibrium deexcitation of a residual nucleus
- Fermi break-up of light nuclei 
- Evaporation/Fission competition [6,7]
- Multifragmentation of highly excited nuclei (SMM) 
- A.S.Botvina, A.V.Dementyev, O.N.Smirnova, N.M.Sobolevsky, V.D.Toneev. MSDM - Multy Stage Dynamical Model. In International Codes and Model Intercomparison for Intermediate Energy Activation Yields, Eds. R.Michel and P.Nagel, NSC/DOC(97)-1, NEA/P&T No 14, OECD, Paris, 1997, p.307.
- V.D.Toneev, K.K.Gudima. Particle Emission in Light and Heavy Ion Reactions. Nucl. Phys. A400 (1983) 173c.
- N.S.Amelin, K.K.Gudima, V.D.Toneev. Ultrarelativistic Nucleus-Nucleus Collisions within a Dynamical Model of Independent Quark-Gluon strings. Yadernaya Fizika 51(1990)1730 (in Russian). Preprint GSI-89-52.
- N.S.Amelin, K.K.Gudima, S.Yu.Siviklokov, V.D.Toneev. Further Development of the Quark-Gluon Strings Model for Describing High-Energy Collisions with Nuclear Target. Yadernaya Fizika 52(1990)272 (in Russian).
- K.K.Gudima, S.G.Mashnik, V.D. Toneev. Cascade-Exciton Model of Nuclear reactions. Nucl. Phys. A401 (1983) 329.
- A.S.Botvina, A.S.Iljinov, I.N.Mishustin, J.P.Bondorf, R.Donangelo, K.Sneppen. Statistical Simulation of the Break up of Highly Excited Nuclei. Nucl. Phys. A475 (1987) 663.
- G.D.Adeev, A.S.Botvina, A.S.Iljinov, M.V.Mebel, N.I.Piscasov, O.I.Serdyuk. A Method of Calculation of Mass and Energy Distributions of Fission Residuals in Reactions Induced by Intermediate Energy Particles. Preprint INR RAS 816/93, Moscow, 1993 (in Russian).
- A.S.Botvina, A.S.Iljinov, I.N.Mishustin. Multifragment Break-up of Nuclei by Intermediate-Energy Protons. Nucl.Phys. A507 (1990) 649.